Kombucha Berry Bircher
Want to up your bircher game? Adding kombucha not only enhances the health benefits of this delicious breakfast but also adds so much flavour. For this recipe, we’ve used our Nexba mixed berry kombucha but it is also great with all the flavours in our kombucha range.
Some fun facts about oats…
Contrary to popular opinion, oats are not related to ‘gluten’ containing grains. However, the process of hybridisation and cross contamination means that most oats now do contain gluten, although in lesser quantities than found in wheat, barley and rye. For this reason, oats need to be avoided for those with Coeliac Disease, unless pure, gluten free oats can be sourced.
Some key health benefits of oats include:
Low on glycaemic index, benefiting blood glucose regulation and reducing risk of type 2 diabetes
Fibre rich, including a particular fibre called beta glucan, shown to have a cholesterol lowering effects, as well as improve immune function
Anti-oxidants specific to oats, called avenanthramides, provide further protection to arteries by reducing oxidation of cholesterol and suppressing inflammatory mediators. This effect can be potentiated by adding vitamin C
Contains Vitamin B1 as well as minerals (such as manganese, magnesium, and zinc) and trace minerals (such as molybdenum and chromium)
We recommend serving this kombucha bircher with mixed berry coulis, cinnamon and/or nut butter of choice.
3/4 cup gluten free oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp mixed seeds (sunflower seeds, linseeds, chia seeds)
1 cup Nexba mixed berry kombucha
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup mixed berries
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbsp raw honey
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Combine oats, coconut, seeds, kombucha and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove bircher from the fridge and set aside while you prepare the berry coulis.
- Combine all coulis ingredients in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer kombucha bircher to bowls and spoon coulis on top. Dust with cinnamon and add a spoonful of nut butter (optional).
- Serve and enjoy.